List of books translated into English
This is a list of books featuring fiction and poetry written in Vietnamese, then translated into English. For works written directly in English, see individual authors in List of Vietnamese-American Writers, Composing in English.
For another list, consult the Wikivietlit categories Translated into English and Translated from Vietnamese into English and more specific categories such as Poets translated into English and Poets translated from Vietnamese into English.
Linh Dinh started this entry.
- Balaban, John and Nguyễn Quí Đức, eds. Vietnam: A Traveler's Literary Companion. Berkeley: Whereabouts Press, 1995.
- Doan Le. The Cemetery of Chua Village and Other Stories. Edited by Wayne Karlin. Chief translator Rosemary Nguyen, with additional translations by Dương Tường and Wayne Karlin. Voices from Vietnam 7. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 2005.
- Duong Thu Huong. Beyond illusions. Translated from the Vietnamese Bên kia bờ ảo vọng, by Nina McPherson and Phan Huy Duong. New York : Hyperion East, 2002.
- ---.Memories of a Pure Spring. Translated from Vietnamese by Nina McPherson and Phan Huy Duong. New York: Hyperion East, 2000.
- ---.No man's land. Translated from Chốn vắng. New York: Hyperion East, c2005.
- ---.Novel Without a Name. Translated from the Vietnamese by Phan Huy Duong and Nina McPherson. New York, NY : W. Morrow, 1995.
- ---.Paradise of the blind. Translated from the Vietnamese Nhung thiên duong mù, by Phan Huy Duong and Nina McPherson. New York: Morrow, 1993.
- Ho Anh Thai. Behind the Red Mist. Edited by Wayne Karlin; translated by Nguyen Qui Duc. Voices from Vietnam 2. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 1998.
- ---.The women on the island. Translated by Phan Thanh Hao, Celeste Bacchi, and Wayne Karlin; introduction by Wayne Karlin. Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 2000.
- Huỳnh Sanh Thông, ed. To Be Made Over: Tales of Socialist Reeducation in Vietnam, featuring Nhật Tiến, Nguyễn Mộng Giác, Nguyễn Ngọc Ngạn and others. New Haven: Yale Southeast Asia Studies, 1988.
- Karlin, Wayne, Lê Minh Khuê and Trương Vũ, eds. The Other Side of Heaven: Post-War Fiction by Vietnamese & American Writers. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 1995.
- Le Minh Khue. The Stars, the Earth, the River: short fiction by Le Minh Khue. Translated by Bac Hoai Tran and Dana Sachs; edited by Wayne Karlin. Voices from Vietnam 1. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 1997.
- Linh Đinh, ed. Night, Again: Contemporary Fiction from Vietnam. New York: Seven Stories Press, 1996. Reissued in 2006.
- Love After War: Contemporary Fiction from Viet Nam. Edited by Wayne Karlin and Ho Anh Thai; translated by Bac Hoai Tran ... [et al.]. Voices from Vietnam 6. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 2003.
- Ma Van Khang. Against the Flood. Edited by Wayne Karlin. Translated by Phan Thanh Hao and Wayne Karlin. Voices from Vietnam 3. Willimantic, CT: Cubstone Press, 2000.
- Nguyen Huy Thiep. Crossing the River: Short Fiction by Nguyen Huy Thiep. Edited by Nguyễn Nguyệt Cầm and Dana Sachs; translated by Bac Hoai Tran ... [et al.]. Voices from Vietnam 5. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone, 2003.
- ---.The General Retires and Other Stories. Translated from Vietnamese with an introduction by Greg Lockhart. Singapore and New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Nguyen Khai. Past continuous. Translated and adapted from Thoi gian cua nguoi by Phan Thanh Hao and Wayne Karlin; with an afterword by Wayne Karlin. Voices from Vietnam 4. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 2001.
- Nguyễn Ngọc Bích, ed. War and Exile: A Vietnamese Anthology. Springfield, VA: Vietnamese Pen Abroad, East Coast U.S.A., 1989.
- Nguyễn Nguyệt Cầm and Dana Sachs, eds. Two Cakes Fit for a King - Folktales from Vietnam. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2003.
- Phạm Thị Hoài. The Crystal Messenger. Translated from the Vietnamese Thiên sứ, by Ton-That Quynh-Du. Melbourne, Hyland House: 1997.
- ---. Sunday Menu. Translated by Ton-That Quynh-Du. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2007.
- Trần Vũ. The Dragon Hunt: five stories. Translated from the Vietnamese by Nina McPherson and Phan Huy Duong. New York: Hyperion, 1999.
- Vũ Trọng Phụng. Dumb Luck. Translated from the Vietnamese novel Số Đỏ, by Peter Zinoman and Nguyễn Nguyệt Cầm. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2002.
- ---.The Industry of Marrying Europeans. Translated from the Vietnamese Kỹ nghệ lấy Tây, by Thúy Tranviet. Cornell: Cornell Southeast Asia Program Publications, 2006.
- An Anthology of Vietnamese Poems: From the Eleventh through the Twentieth Centuries. Edited and Translated by Huynh Sanh Thong. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1996.
- Blank verse: an Anthology of Vietnamese New Formalism Poetry. Edited by Khế Iêm. Translated from the Vietnamese Thơ Không Vần, by Joseph Đỗ Vinh Tài. Garden Grove, CA: Tan Hinh Thuc Pub. Club, 2006. A bilingual anthology of poetry.
- Defiant Muse: Vietnamese Feminist Poems. Edited by Lady Borton, Nguyễn Thị Minh Hà and Nguyễn Thị Thanh Bình, with an introduction by Grace Paley. New York: The Feminist Press, 2007.
- Ho Xuan Huong. Spring Essence. Edited and translated by John Balaban. Port Towsend, WA: Copper Canyon Press, 2000.
- Hữu Thỉnh. The Time Tree. Translated by George Evans and Nguyễn Quí Ðức. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 2003.
- Nguyen Chi Thien. Flowers from Hell (Hoa Dia-Nguc): a bilingual edition of poems selected and translated from the Vietnamese by Huynh Sanh Thong. New Haven: Yale University Council on Southeast Asia Studies, 1984.
- ---. Hoa Dia Nguc / The Flowers of Hell: A Bilingual Selection. Translated by Nguyen Ngoc Bich. To Hop Xuat Ban Mien Dong Hoa Ky (General Publishing House of the Eastern United States), 1996.
- Nguyễn Duy. Distant Road: Selected Poems of Nguyen Duy. Edited and translated by Nguyen Ba Chung and Kevin Bowen. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press, 1999.
- Nguyễn Quang Thiều. The Women Carry River Water. Edited and Translated by Martha Collins and Nguyễn Quang Thiều with Nguyen Ba Chung. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1997. A bilingual edition of poetry.
- Phan Nhiên Hạo. Night, Fish and Charlie Parker. A bilingual edition of poems selected and translated by Linh Đinh. Dorset, VT: Tupelo Press, 2006.
- Poems from Captured Documents. Selected and Translated from the Vietnamese by Thanh T. Nguyen & Bruce Weigl; with an introduction by Bruce Weigl. Amherst: University of Massachussets Press, 1994. A bilingual edition of poetry.
- 6 Vietnamese poets: Y nhi, Nguyen Khoa Diem, Lam Thi My Da, Nguyen Duc Ma, Xuan Quynh, Pham Tien Duat. Edited by Nguyen Ba Chung and Kevin Bowen; with translations by Martha Collins ... [et al.]. Willimantic, CT: Curbstone Press in cooperation with the William Joiner Center for the Study of War and Social Consequences, 2002.
- Three Vietnamese Poets. Edited and Translated by Linh Đinh. Hawaii: Tinfish, 2001. Featuring Nguyễn Quốc Chánh, Phan Nhiên Hạo and Văn Cầm Hải.
- We Promise One Another: Poems from an Asian War. Compiled by Don Luce, John C. Schafer, and Jacquelyn Chagnon. Washington, Indochina Mobile Education Project, 1971.